Followers

You can find me at

About Me

chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
I love to create one of a kind jewelry that is unique, different, and of course, beautiful. I work with several techniques and materials. I do wire wrapping, metal working, and beadweaving. Much of my work is for sale at my Etsy shop and my Zibbet shop (see link at the bottom of this profile.) You can also contact me directly. I have much more than is displayed in either shop. You can contact me through e-mail. I accept payment through PayPal. I'll also be happy to work with you on custom orders. Just tell me what you want and I'll try to accommodate. And thanks for looking! *Please note that these are my original designs and are copyrighted. Please do not copy my designs. Thank you for your artisic integrity and consideration. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.clairecreations.etsy.com http://www.zibbet.com/clairecreations

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Returning - again



Well, well, well, I see I've not posted here in way too long. Hope to remedy that and post more often now. (I know, I've said that before, but my intentions are good. It's just that life gets in the way.)
I'm starting with a work-in-progess that I'm almost, but not quite done with. This is a new thing I'm trying. It's a combination of bead embroidery and bead weaving.
The pictures show the beginning and where I am now. I want to add whiskers to the cat's face.
Here's how I did this:
-
I don't know if this is an 'orthodox' way of doing something like this -- I started with an idea, then worked it out as I went along.
>First, I found a silhouette of a cat and traced it onto a piece of Lacy's Stiff Stuff. (No, I don't draw freehand very well.)
>I then backstitched all around the outline -using size 15/0 beads, which I've used throughout.
>I worked the face in backstitch to get the curvature I wanted. I started the body that way, too, but then thought of something different.
>Most of the body is worked in Peyote stitch. I secured some, but not all of the rows to the backing at the top. As I worked, I realized that as the two sides came together, I could simply attach the body to the opposite side when I got there, so that's what I did.
>I had to compensate for the curvature of the cat by adjusting the Peyote stitching, sometimes using 2 beads at a time and sometimes skipping a bead (decreasing).
>When I got to the right edge, I sort of 'zipped' it to the body. Then went back and 'zipped' the left edge to the body.
>For the gradations of the colors, I used my cat, Tigger, for an example.

Now, I need to finish this thing. I thought a broach, but then thought a pendant. Or maybe a broach that could also be worn as a pendant. I do have some of those types of pins, but don't know if it will work on this.

Before I get to that, though, I have to put a leather or ultrasuede backing and edging on the piece. Again, not quite sure how to do this, but will experiment.

Would love to get some comments on this.

No comments: